Physical Theatre Arts Instructor
Reposted: January 7, 2022
We are looking for someone with energy, enthusiasm and physical theatre/choreography skills to work with children and youth in Grades 3 – 8 towards a theatrical production that tells a story from the Bible.
The kids and mentors of the Burrard St. Story Guild meet once a week (Fridays, 3:30-5:15) over the course of 14-weeks (excluding Good Friday and Spring Break) to stage a public production. Artistically the Burrard St. Story Guild attempts to capture the emotional energy of single moments of a story through body movement, music, giant puppets and other theatrical art forms that enhance an audio and visual telling of the story. In other words Sacred Canopy productions are less about scripted lines and role development (though there is some of that, especially for the teens) than about choreographed group and body work.
For more information on the look, feel and values of the work we do go to sacredcanopy.yitca.com/ (@sacredcanopysociety).
What you bring:
● An ease working with children and youth of all skill levels that creates an environment of confidence and fun
● Experience and/or training in physical theatre
● An understanding in how to adapt physical theatre to an age-range of kids
● Skill at creating and implementing choreography for groups of kids as a primary way of
telling the story with their bodies
● Reliable, punctual, personable
● An open-minded, open-hearted approach to biblical narrative
● Work with the storytelling director and music director in developing a joint artistic vision for each presentation
● Attend the Story Guild Fridays and teach kids basic acting skills that pertain to the telling of the story for each season
● Choreograph and direct scenes on Friday rehearsals.
● Direct the Saturday dress rehearsals and final Sunday performance.
● Participate in pre-season planning (generally two, two-hour meetings) and post-season
wrap up (evaluation, cast party, clean-up)
● Police record check required and Child Protection Policy training (provided)
Terms of Employment
This is a four-month contract (January 29, 2022 – May 13, 2022) in partnership with Sacred Canopy and Canadian Memorial United Church that may be renewed depending on funding. It pays $3000 per season ($1500 beginning of the season and $1500 at the end). A season includes pre-production meetings, 14 Friday afternoons with the participants (a 3:00 – 6:00 commitment, including set-up and take-down, and a debrief with teen interns), one Saturday dress rehearsal (April 30), a Sunday morning and afternoon presentation (May 1) and post-production debrief and cast party.
Send cover letter and resume to Sacred Canopy director, Tama Ward: firstname.lastname@example.org, or call to arrange a drop-off in person: 604-803-1195. Deadline: Ongoing until the position is filled. NOTE: You will be contacted by phone if we want to take your application to the next step.